What a country we live in. Everyone knows that the ban would be extended with the stroke of Pres. Bush's pen, but there'sno way in hell he's going to cross the NRA. In the meantime, Kerry is going to wait until the day the day the ban passes, NOT BEFORE IT PASSES, to decry the failures of the Republican congress over the assault weapons ban. What we have here, citizens, is the typical leadership examples of the people 'we' put into power.
In the meantime, gun manufacturers are already taking advance orders on assault weapons. All of this because no one has the will of character to really stand up for what's right.
This country is home to some amazing contradictions:
- We fight abortion rights and sing 'Save the children while we roll back judicial progress to the 1800s so we can send teenagers to death row.
- We buy cars that average 17 mpg ON THE FREEWAY while complaining about high gas prices.
- We fight and die in a war for oil over a lie about weapons of mass destruction. We look in wonder as Iraqis tell us to go home after liberating them, as if they had forgotten Rumsfeld shaking the hand of Hussein while he executed his own people.
- We gasp in surprise of the fact that a madman nationalist uses the chemical weapons that we sell to him. And we pat ourselves on the back for making the world a safer place, when we are responsible for creating a monster (Al Queda - so we wouldn't get our hands dirty fighting the Russians in Afghanistan) and poking it with a stick.
- We have all but dismissed the Anthrax scare and the fact that it was most likely an 'inside' job.
All of this, and we start a 200 billion dollar war with a threat that grows like cancer and feeds on our rhetoric. I doubt that anyone in the middle east missed Bush's reference to the war on terror as a 'Crusade.'
It really is a wonder that anyone votes at all (but that certainly doesn't mean that you shouldn't!!!!!!)